Friday, November 16, 2007

Matters of the Heart Rate Monitor

My fancy new HR monitor has a “fitness test” built into it. Basically, you lie down, very still, for about 5 minutes, while the watch monitors your heart-rate. At the end, it gives you a number. A higher number is better. In the manual, you can find your number on a chart and see how you compare. Apparently I can lie motionless significantly better than the average untrained person. So I’ve got that going for me.

Another feature I like is the “total number of heartbeats”. Today during my run, my heart beat 10,927 times. I’m not sure how to use this. I suspect that’s what separates me from the elite runners out there.

Yesterday I encountered a big scary dog, which ran up to and jumped up at me, while his owner made no effort to call him back or restrain him. Luckily it just wanted to play – but it did scare me and force me off the trail. I noticed my heart rate spiked quite a bit after that – first from the fright, then from anger at the owner for not controlling his dog. I’m not sure if my cardiovascular health benefited from the extra heartbeats. Or if my heart rate spike was tempered by my better-than-average ability to lie motionless while wearing a heart rate monitor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks as if you have a good heart. I always knew that. mom