Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ouch.


Javelina didn't go so well for me. My IT band on my right side flared up again, and I had some other issues lower on that leg, I think from over-compensating a bit. At mile 30 I sat down to change shoes, and when I stood up again, I had that all-too familiar lock-up in my knee from an over-stressed IT band. IT isn't something to "run through". And I wasn't in the mood to walk 70 miles and wreck myself for the rest of the year. I wasn't happy about it, but I guess quitting was the right call.

Nice job to Jeff Riley who represented Oregon strong, and took the overall victory. There was some stiff competition, but Jeff ran smart early, and put the hurt on the field late to take the win by a large margin.

4 comments:

William Swint said...

Matt,bummer about the 100.But it sounds like you were smart about it.That should pay off next year.

Mike Rosling said...

It's important to know when to say when...sounds like you made the right call.

Rod Bien said...

Bummer. Sorry to hear about the IT band. It sure is frustrating to pull out early.
I just ran that trail today while on vacation. That said, man, that seemed like a pretty boring 100 mile run. I was jonesin' to be done after 15 miles..... Rest well and refocus for the mountains next season.

seagull junker said...

oh matt, it's the end of the season now and you have plenty of time to rest that IT band. you had a fantastic year. it will be even better next year.

rest and get ready to put the hammer down next year. you will be in the "mix" in many races. find a 100 and show us how it is done. you have already done that in the shorter races. bring it man.