Sunday, January 27, 2008

Snow in the Valley


We've had a cold week in Oregon. It started cold and clear, but by Thursday we got some rain and snow in the valley. Corvallis schools were closed on Friday, so Avery got to spend the morning at work with Jasmine. They close the schools here anytime we get an inch of snow or a bit of ice - it wasn't exactly a blizzard, but I'm sure the kids were happy.

This morning (Sunday) it snowed again. We got a couple inches on our yard - enough to do a bit of sledding and build a snowman in the front yard. Actually it was a snow-girl, according to Avery. Her name is "Angel".
I was up early today for my usual Sunday morning weekly long run. Chris, Tim and Chris's dog joined me for most of it. As we got higher in the hills, the snow got pretty deep, with a good 6" on McCulloch peak - the high point in MacDonald Forest. The snow made for a pretty memorable run. It sure beats running in the rain. I ended up doing about 26.8 miles, if my foot-pod is to be believed. It's usually not very accurate on trails, and who knows how it reacts to snow; but given the conditions, I'm willing to count every last yard.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like Minnesota! I don't miss the snow and cold at all! l/mom

Olga said...

Wearing shorts in the snow...hmm:)